Wednesday, September 26, 2012

It's better to burn out than fade away?


I think I am officially burnt out on training. There is not much on my schedule right now. That should make me happy. So why am I tired all the time and lacking motivation? After meeting with my coach I decided to change my Stump Jump 50K race to the 11 miler. This was to give me more time to recover and concentrate on a 50K in January. I then quickly added the Mystery Mountain 12 miler onto my schedule because I miss my GUTS friends and mostly because I am stupid. Now October is crazy! 

Oct 6 - Stump Jump 11 miler
Oct 13 - work and Tap n' Run 4K (probably a bad idea but looks fun)
Oct 14 - Mystery Mountain 12 miler
Oct 20 - B2B swim leg of Ironman Relay
Oct 27 - Tech Homecoming
Nov 3 - IM Florida (supporting)

Seriously, why do I do these things??? I feel like I have made no progress on the mile long "to do" list I have compiled. I have let a LOT of things slide in the last 6 months and now I am manic about not having anything done and simultaneously tired and slug-like. Not a happy place for me. So, what have I been doing the past 4 weeks?

First I was sick. I had a cold that kicked my ass for about 48 hours right after Louisville. On top of that I had a mole removed from the bottom of my foot that made walking painful for a few days. Thankfully the biopsy came back negative. There has been some progress made around the house - pansies and fall flowers planted, minor cleaning, straightening up and organizing and tri gear cleaned and organized. I have completed 15 hours of continuing education toward renewing my USAT coaching certification. A CPR class is all that is left to do toward checking that off the list. I still have some major cleaning to do around the house. A giant purge is on the horizon. We just accumulate too much stuff and my OCD and anti-hoarder mania is about to hit high gear. My gardens need a major clean up but some of that might have to wait until fall really kicks in and stuff starts to die back.

There also has been some much needed down time and quite a few trail runs and short bike rides. Problem is that once I get a run or bike done all I want to do is nap. That is not normal and is a huge waste of the weekend. I am able to do my workouts (yes I still have workouts on my schedule) but they seem to kick my ass. Swimming has been the worst. After 30-45 minutes in the pool I have had enough. Hopefully, I am turning a corner and physically my recovery is about complete. The biggest obstacle right now is mentally I am checked out. The big race is over and its hard to get too fired up over a swim or a short trail race. I know I can do them even though I might suffer a little bit but in a way its a bad thing because it makes training for them hard. I will come right out and say it....I kind of don't care right now.

So, here I am burnt out. I look at my 9 (yes, 9!) workouts for the week and I say really? why bother? I don't want to feel that way. I have been less than compliant these past few weeks but I have tried. I feel resentful toward the workouts thinking I could be chipping away at that "to do list", or playing with my dog or maybe spending time with my husband. That all sounds good except John just started doing Crossfit. So now he is getting up early and going to the gym and or going after work and we still seem to be working at separate purposes. He has multiple long distance trail runs on his schedule and an Ironman next year. I guess this is another thing I need to figure out since my plan is to do 2 half Ironmans after my 50K and possibly a 50 miler/100K in the spring. Finding that balance is going to take some work.

Speaking of cross fit, I would like to try it too but finding time to work that in amongst an already packed schedule seems difficult at best. I thought I would have all this free time after Ironman. I also planned to try Paleo. I think I am actually eating worse post Ironman. A lot of things need to be worked out in the next couple of months. For now, I just need to find that spark to re-light that fire....



No comments:

Post a Comment